A R T | F A S H I O N | M I S C E L L A N E A


Sunday 6 January 2013

Vans Sk8-Hi Platforms


It's a shame the Vans folk decided to make the 'Sk8-Hi' style into platforms and not the 'Authentic' or 'Era', they look like a slightly glorified version of those platform trainers you can get in just about any cheap 'Blue Star'-type shoe shop. Don't get me wrong, I do love a good flatform - from my classic black Vagobond ballet pumps to the white Jeffrey Campbell loafers, but these Vans do nothing for me. In fact they remind me too much of the hideous Buffalos from the 90s and the poor man's rip-offs. When I was 10 I had a pretty rad pair of denim Rin Tin Tin platform trainers, and they were far superior than these monstrosities! I know Buffalos are massive once again (quite literally of course) but it's no excuse for other brands to follow suit. When I was perhaps 12 or 13, a time when I was easily led by osmosis trends, I managed to cultivate 8 pairs of Buffalos, yes EIGHT. How and why my mother allowed me to invest so much birthday/Christmas/pocket money on them? I will never know. Perhaps it was a means of entertainment for her, seeing her pubescent daughter flouncing around in stupid shoes that she'll almost certainly regret in a few years. Just add the Baby G watch, FCUK tee shirts and an inflatable backpack to finish the look (as well as completing the humiliating hindsight). If, however, my 12 year-old self was around now I'd be pretty darn hip but thankfully it's just a fad.

No comments:

Post a Comment